Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

There and Back Again


Mr. K in action!
The trip to Hungary was an eventful week that gave Jenn and me valuable look into the country where we will soon be living. 
Of particular benefit was the time we spent at the International Christian School of Budapest, where we observed the culture and dynamics of ICSB, where I will be teaching middle-school social studies. 

     I spent time meeting with my future colleagues at ICSB. Of particular note, I had several productive conversations with the head of school and the middle-school principal. Through our conversations I was able to see the challenges and rewards of teaching at ICSB. Hungary is often a discouraging mission field (Why Hungary?) and this was confirmed on our trip; teachers at ICSB are not immune, even though ICSB is a healthy environment. Candid conversations with teachers instilled in me a deeper understanding of the need for teachers who are committed to serving long-term.

     I also gained insight into the diverse nature of the school, where there are currently 22 nations represented. I sampled the social-studies classes and met the students I will be teaching next fall. It was amazing to hear all the different places they are from. The first question every student asked me was, "Where are you from?" I was proud to explain where Wyoming was and inform that it was indeed a state! Because of this trip, Jenn and I both have a clearer understanding of how our ministry vision will translate into action.

     After speaking with friends at ICSB and our WorldVenture team in Hungary, we have set our target departure date to Hungary as July 1, 2013. Of course, we will not be going anywhere until we have received pledges for all of our monthly living expenses. Please pray and consider how you can be a part of ministry to TCKs in Hungary!

This article was originally published by Dave and Jenn Kelley on another site in early November, 2012.

   Want to see pictures from our trip? Look for the slide shows on the Photo AlbumWhy Hungary? andWhy ICSB? pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment